Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Under Brother's Watchful Eye


Caleb approves. Ella can stay.

I asked Caleb earlier this week what he thought about the idea of Ella's permanence in our lives, and he said: "She's my sister?" I nodded the affirmative. "I'm her brother," he concluded. And that settled it.

Caleb has taken to calling Ella "my baby" whenever asked about her, and if she happens to be within reach, laying an ever-so-gentle hand on her head.

I had feared, prior to Ella's arrival that Caleb would be jealous, and perhaps lash out at the new baby in frustration. Once again I underestimated him, for instead, he has embraced his role as big brother with far greater ease than I ever could have hoped. And while we will still muddle our way through sibling rivalry as the two of them grow, I can say with utter confidence that these two children of mine were meant to love, and grow, and experience life together—big brother and little sister. And what a gift that I get to be their mother . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment