Monday, March 2, 2009

Kisses

















Mommy and Caleb,
February, 2008



I was browsing babycenter.com earlier this week, and I ran across a poll where a mom queried, "Do you kiss your children on the lips?" The question struck me as a little odd, only because I had never really thought there was another option. Of course I kiss Caleb on the lips, and his cheeks, and the dimples at his elbows—his knees when they are scraped or bruised, and almost anywhere else on his little person that needs to be mended or loved.

I grew up being kissed, and while now I pretty much reserve my lips for my husband and my son, kissing in general has always been a warm and welcome part of my life.

And so this morning, when I picked up a cup of Starbucks following another induction attempt at the gym, I read the quote on side of the cup, first thing, as I always do. And it resonated so clearly in my heart that I came home immediately to post it . . . So I would not forget.

"Do not kiss your children
so they will kiss you back
but so they will kiss their children,
and their children's children."
—Noah benShea

Amen Noah. Lips, knees, elbows, whatever. Kiss your children.

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%!! I remember thinking when Tryn was born how impossible it was NOT to kiss her. I couldn't help myself, I still can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this quote so sweet sister...i love it, i could never NOT kiss my baby on the lips, i tucked both of my children in last night, kissed my sleeping boy on the forhead, and just the smell of his sweet face made me well up. then i went into my daughters room and placed my hand on her back as i do every night to make sure that she is breathing, and i felt the warmth of breath and thanked the Lord for the breath that was in her body. i also had a memory of when i was in the hospital with my baby girl that first time i laid eyes on her, i was holding her for quite some time when suddenly i realized, " I HADEN'T KISSED HER YET!" and i promptly kissed her all over her face and just the smell of that fresh baby as i kissed her, well, theres nothin like it in all the world. i can't wait to do that again. no, i'm not pregnant, only just wishing i was. :)

    ReplyDelete