Friday, March 6, 2009

Bubbles and Other Supposed Non-Indoor Activities


I am ready for spring. Seriously.

The temps soared yesterday to 43 degrees, and are promising to do the same again today, and I now have the itch to be out-of-doors . . . even stronger is the itch to get my son out-of-doors.

We are very quickly running out of activities/preoccupations/distractions. Minnesota winters are crazy-long without the addition of a red-headed toddler cooped up inside the walls of my home. He is beginning to bounce against said walls.

And so I have an ongoing list of outside-brought-inside activities that are keeping us busy. At least for the next two-maybe-three days . . . or until he tires of them . . . whichever happens first.

1. Bubbles.
Lots and lots of bubbles. I got short-winded and light-headed from blowing the bubbles from a wand and finally caved, picking up a "bubble gun" complete with 2 AA batteries guarenteed to last, um, maybe an hour or so, in Caleb's persistant hands. I think my kitchen floor has never been cleaner—nor more slippery. It's great incentive to wash the floors . . . just add water.

2. Trike.
Yes, our house is small, but the layout is a solid stream—one room to the next, front of the house all the way to the back. (Google "shotgun house" and you will get the picture). The setup is ideal for small boys to perfect their three-wheeled riding techniques.

3. Lawn Mower.
Fake. Small toy. Not too loud. The carpets have never been more nicely trimmed.

4. Tent.
Ikea is a godsend. Caleb now "camps" periodically in his little red Ikea tent, pitched in the corner of his playroom and gazes at the stars (from inside the tent). Daddy often accompanies him—long legs stretching out and beyond the tent's capacity to contain him. It's perfect.

Ideas considered and dismissed:
1. Swimming Pool
(for obvious reasons) I don't think the homeowner's insurance covers this sort of water damage.
2. Sidewalk chalk
Caleb is an amazing artist, but I am trying to teach him to respect his medium. Paper, not the table; paper, not the floor; paper, not your body, clothes, hair, mouth, or up your nose . . . I would hate to confuse him at this point.
3. Sand box
While we have almost enough dirt in the corners of the house to suffice for this, I am still a little rediscent to encourage the accumulation of any additional dirt.

Until the ice and snow melts . . . play on.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. : ) Today was SO nice here in WA as well. Blue, blue sky, fat robins, greening grass. Breathing deep to try to draw the sunshine in. I envy Caleb his little lawn mower. What fun!
    Alas..our forecast is for snow later this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have too very strongly considered the swimming pool, i have a large basement that could easily be a beatiful pool area, however, i found out my pool has a hole in it. thus, no pool in my basement. probably for the best. :) we did go for a walk yesterday, baby in the pack, boy in the stroller. good time actaully. i too, crave spring. please Lord, let it be soon.

    ReplyDelete