Thursday, April 16, 2009

All By Myself


While I knew this would be a necessary part of Caleb's adjustment, I never realized how much independence would be necessary on his part with the arrival of his baby sister. It concerned me a bit the first couple of weeks, as Caleb tends to be a bit needy and is continually asking for help . . .even with things he is capable of accomplishing himself (he is a smart little guy and quickly learned, "why do it yourself when someone bigger and stronger can do it for you!?")

With Ella's entrance into our family, Caleb's monopoly on our time and attention has had to be divided, and while that has been the most difficult battle we have faced in this adjustment, it has resulted in new found self-sufficiency on Caleb's part, as well as a few new skills he has quickly picked up—undressing himself (a good thing at home, not-so-much in public), "reading" stories to himself and to us, and most recently, putting a rather-complex puzzle together all by himself. (I am quite proud of this one!) As the puzzle is geared for ages 3 and up, and Caleb is only two and a half, I think I have reason to be pretty proud of my little guy. Regardless of what I think, he is pretty proud of himself as the look on his face in this picture clearly shows! One more sign of independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment