Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Adventure


"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."
-G. K. Chesterton

I've been dwelling on inconveniences a bit lately: the stomach flu that rages through my home . . . a new baby who sleeps in very small measures . . . a winter blizzard in April . . . a body that still has yet to fit into her pre-pregnancy clothes . . . a toddler who cannot and will not show any sign of self-control . . . I could go on and on. But not today.

Being a writer forces me to look at life in story format. This blog is a perfect case-in-point. But one of the greatest sources of frustration for me, is that as of late, my life does not offer the sort of adventure I crave. Almost all the activities, the pleasures, even the vices I once enjoyed are a bit out of reach—simply because my time, my energy, and my creativity are invested elsewhere at the moment . . . and for the next gazillion-moments to come . . . or at least until my children are potty trained, can dress themselves, and manage to scrounge the kitchen on their own for adequate sustenance.

Yet, as I drove home from the grocery store last week, dwelling too heavily on some of this, it struck me quite suddenly how fleeting these days actually are; how brief the inconveniences. Glancing in the backseat at my children, I wondered with a fierce stab of guilt if I was approaching this from the wrong angle. How many times have I heard women around me tell me to slow down and enjoy the time I have with my babies, because it is over so fast? While I have tried to appreciate and follow the words of advice, they generally barely filter through my sleep, food, and strength-deprived consciousness, and so I struggle to grasp their weight.

But looking at these babies of mine today, these tiny people filled with infinite possibility and mystery, I am gripped by the knowledge that these two are the greatest gift I have been given (cliche', I know). Perhaps even more, they are they greatest gift I have to give. They will remain when I cease. Their stories will continue where mine ends. And anything of value I wish to say will be said through them.

So, as Chesterton would assert, however inconvenienced I may or may not feel in these chaotic, exhausting days, I am living in the midst of the most amazing adventure I may ever be allowed to experience. And that's something worth writing about.

4 comments:

  1. I know how tired and sleep deprived you are. All new mothers go through the same thing. Also, having a sick child beside is very hard. But, every mother has been in the same situation as you at some time or other. Also, remember, God does not give you more than you can handle. He is there, call upon him. I can vouch for the time goes way too fast when the little ones grow up and go their own ways. Now we have time on our hands and with a quiet house, which is sometimes too quiet. One day will come when you can look back on this time and see that it wasn't as bad. Mom-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  2. i echo the thoughts of anonymous, it's over in a flash. also another angle of this, i know you and you tend to put more presure upon yourself than needed. a day at a time is all you can do. give what you have to give in each moment. know that God sees your heart. Break it down, make it simple, love God, ask Him to supply you with what you need and your children need each day. the story of creation pops into my mind as write this, i paused to read it quickly, and the verse i fell upon was "Let there be light, and there was light." so the God who spoke light into existance will also speak light into the corners of every dark area for you as well...
    if you do not have, He will supply. enjoy the moments you can enjoy, and the ones you don't enjoy so much (be honest, we all have them) (i had a whole day of them yesterday) let Him breath His beautiful light into them.
    and also drink coffee. (God made that too)
    also know that there is a royal sisterhood of other mommies out there who are right there with you. all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote and observations! You inspire me. : )

    ReplyDelete