Thursday, August 20, 2009

Super Man


Caleb has uncovered a superpower.
He can fly.
It's marvelous. All that is required to activate this power is a cape. * Fling ordinary brown cozy-blanket around neck, fastens securely with one of mom's binder-clips, raises hand above head and preso! Off like a shot.*

I don't know why I've never made Caleb a cape before today, I feel a little like I need a red check mark on my blackboard of Mommyhood. Two more and you have to see the principal!Regardless of timing, both Caleb and I are relieved that his cape has brought him so far in life so quickly.

I need a cape.
I am still trying to uncover my own superpower —Correction, I am still trying to uncover my SUPER-superpower. Right now I have all the usual superpowers . . . Multitasking, laundry-washing, house-cleaning, child-rearing, meal-making, bottle-washing, grocery-shopping, bill-paying, etc.

My husband and I discussed superpowers one night over dinner.

Me: "If you could have any superpower what would it be?"
Him: "Hmmm, I think shooting lighting-bolts from my fingers."
Me: "Wow. Lightning bolts?"
Him: "Yep."
Me: "I'd want to be able to read peoples' minds."
Him: "Don't you already do that?"
Me: *rolls eyes and smiles thankfully* "No, I mean, like I could walk into a room and know what going on in the minds of everyone around me."
Him: "Why would you want that?"
Me: "So I would always know the right thing to say and do—especially when it comes to parenting."

If I could get into my childrens' heads I could be so much better at this incredible, emotional, exhausing, fulfilling job called being a Mom. Was that sass willful disobediance or the result of a missed nap? Is she screaming because she is tired, or hungry, or both? Does he really hate hot dogs or does he just want fruit snacks for dinner?

Caleb just ran past with his cape streaming out behind him. Now he's back and parked at my elbow as I type this.

Caleb: "Hey Mom, whatcha doin?"
Me: "Writing about your cape."
Caleb: "My cape?"
Me: "Yep."
Caleb: "How come?"
Me: "Because I think it's so cool that you can fly, and I wanted to tell my friends."
Caleb: *long pause* "You should tell them about you too." *leaves me, and flies across the room again*
Me: "About me? What should I tell them?"
Caleb: *shouts as he zooms by* "That you taught me to fly!"
Me: *Long pause as the reality of that hits her heart. Stands up, hits 'publish' on blog, flutters cape out behind her and flies across the room*

2 comments: