Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Best Friend



I suggested a Caleb-Mommy date to my son on our way to daycare this morning.

Since Ella arrived in our lives, the three of us are pretty much together non-stop, and I've been wondering lately if Caleb misses having time with me, exclusively to himself.

He is a remarkably patient little fellow, and even if I have to stop whatever I've been doing with him, to tend to Ella, he is always quick to tell me "my sister needs you, Mom." This, even when he knows his own interests will be interrupted.

Our conversation this morning went something like this:

Me: "Hey bud, what do you think about going on a date with me? Just you and Mommy?
Caleb: "Just you and me?"
Me: "Ya."
Caleb: "What about Ella?"
Me: "Well, I thought maybe you and Mommy could have some time together—just us. What do you think of that?"
Caleb: "We can't leave Ella. She has to come too."
Me: "Really?"
Caleb: "Yes. Me and Mommy and Ella. Ella is my best friend."
Me: *melts*

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! When Brad takes Sammy on "dates" Caleb cries for at least a few minutes as he watches them go. He really doesn't know what to do without Sammy! They are only 20 months apart, and are very close. In turn, when Sammy wakes up earlier in the morning than Caleb, she drags her feet around the house until he wakes up..."so that Caleb can play house with me, Mommy." Ahhhh, true sibling love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely precious. You done good, Mama.

    ReplyDelete